Superfoody+Spicy Picnic Sandwich
I am so excited for my cooking workshop held over ANZAC weekend at Waiheke Island as a part of 3 days Ashtanga workshop hosted by absolutely amazing and super talented Ashtangis- Kiri, Steph and Martina. It’s a privilege to be doing this cooking workshop along with three amazing ladies who are long-time advanced practioneers (I remember watching them practice during Dena’s workshop totally in awe) and even more so amazing teachers. After some contemplation I decided on the menu- Quinoa Patties, Spicy Chickpea Quinoa curry, turmeric tea, coconut ladoos, coriander chutney, tamarind chutney. The first 15 minutes of the workshop starts of with some introductions on basic spices/ basic superfoods, how to cook and eat with mindfulness, where to buy organic ingredients at economical cost in Auckland, cleansing practices based on Ayurveda….. check out the brochure here 🙂
During our recent outing in Coromandel and weekend trips to Piha I would usually pack lunch’s like tempeh biryani, gluten-free pizza. Nikul said ‘picnic= sandwiches fullstop’ Guess that’s a kiwi thing but the usual lettuce+tomatoes+ cucumbers just does not make it feel like a complete lunch for me. So here goes my version of healthy + yummy that we both agree with 🙂
Ingredients: (makes 1 sandwiches)
- 2 slices of gluten-free bread (we usually buy ours from Bread & Butter in Grey Lynn and it’s the best tasting + healthiest bread I have found in Auckland)
- Sliced Capsicum
- Sliced Cucumber
- Sliced Avocado
- Handful of mesculun or sliced lettuce
- 1 serving of Hummus (optional)
- 1 serving of coriander chutney
Ingredients for Coriander chutney:
- 1 cup rinsed and chopped coriander leaves (with stalks)
- salt to taste
- 1 green chilli (cut diagonally)
- 1/2 inch chopped ginger
- 2 Tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
Ingredients for Tempeh in spicy Sauce: (please double the tempeh sauce ingredients for how many ever sandwiches you would like to make)
- 4 pieces of Tempeh sliced into small squares
- 1/2 Tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 Tsp Sriracha hot chilli sauce
- 1/4 Tsp grated garlic
- 1 Tsp coconut oil
Step 1– Marinate the tempeh with all the sauce ingredients for 10 minutes and stir-fry till the tempeh is slightly cooked on both sides.
Step 2– Blend all the ingredients for coriander chutney and grind until smooth. If required add 1 Tbsp water. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as per your taste.
Step 3- Assemble the sandwich-spread hummus on one slice of bread and coriander chutney on the other slice. Layer on the mesculun, capsicum, cucumber, avocado and the pan-fried tofu.
And ready to eat <3
Suggestions- feel free to add/substitute ingredients such as lettuce, boiled beetroot, onions…
Some other easy Sandwich ideas are:
1. Spicy peanut butter+ avocado sandwiches. (Recipe of spicy peanut butter (MUST TRY)- 2 TBsp peanut butter+ 1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce+1 Tsp Sriracha chilli sauce + 1 Tsp apple cider vinegar).
2. Cashew butter+ strawberry jam or fig jam sandwiches.